Rejuvenate Bio is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our energetic team and accelerate the development of our therapies. The position will directly support efforts to drive forward our future commercial offerings by developing our GMP process. The Bioprocess Engineer will be responsible for independently developing and optimizing mammalian cell culture processes for the production of AAV-based gene therapies. This role reports directly to the Sr. Director of Process Development and will work alongside a team of Associates on upstream process development, scale-up, optimization, characterization, and transfer of projects.
• Independently develop, design, and conduct viral vector production experiments and evaluate new technologies to increase AAV vector yield and process understanding using design of experiment (DOE)
• Performing cell culture (adherent and suspension) for virus creation and purification
• Using statistical approaches (DOE, QbD) for process optimization at small scale and translating results to bioreactor scale production.
• Performing researching into ways of enhancing AAV production
• Leads, plans and conducts viral vector production in bioreactors ranging from 1L to 50L scale
• Performing standard and advanced cloning techniques
• Executing experiments, independently and in conjunction with a small team in support of research and clinical applications
• Following laboratory protocols and safety regulations
• Performing detailed and accurate documentation of all experiments and laboratory practices
• Accountable for on-time, high quality results and clearly communicating progress
• Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor or manager
• B.S. or M.S. in virology, biology, biochemistry, microbiology, biomedical engineering, bioengineering or related field required.
• 5+ years of experience optimizing mammalian cell culture processes for production of biological products, AAV vectors preferred.
• Hands on experience in upstream bioprocess unit operations including shaker flasks, stirred tank bioreactors (e.g. AMBR15/250, Das Gip, or similar) and a desire to continue in a laboratory- focused role.
• Extensive understanding of analytical tools and calculations such as cell counting, oxygen uptake rates, metabolite consumption rates, viral vector titer and product quality assessments.
2+ years of experience with AAV vectors preferred. Experience with suspension cell culture and AAV production. Experience with flow cytometry, ELISAs, PCR, and microscopy. Proven ability to draft and implement lab protocols. Ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment. Strong work ethic, communication skills and goal-oriented personality.
If interested, email email@example.com with a resume and cover letter. We are located in San Diego California.