At Rejuvenate Bio, we aspire to treat aging and age-related diseases. We are a spinout from George Church's lab at Harvard Medical School and the Wyss Institute, and our goal is to treat pets and people with targeted gene therapies directed at curing specific disease states associated with old age that also have the potential to extend overall health and maximize lifespan.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Research Associate or Senior Research Associate will devise, pilot, and optimize the purification of AAVs and various eukaryotic proteins. They will also characterize purified AAVs and proteins by various methods, including (but not limited to) spectrophotometric, light scattering, SDS-PAGE, Western blot, LC-MS. This associate will work closely with other Associates and Scientists to develop SOPs for transfer to CDMOs. This position reports directly to the Sr. Director of Process Development at Rejuvenate Bio.
Responsibilities will include:
• Piloting and optimizing the purification of various types of AAV
• Piloting and optimizing the purification of non-AAV proteins
• Operation and maintenance of FPLC systems (primarily AKTA)
• Characterization of purified AAVs and eukaryotic proteins by various methods, including light scattering, spectrophotometer, SDS-PAGE, LC-MS, and others
• The scrupulous keeping of laboratory records of the preceding experiments
• Working alongside a senior scientist and a junior RA to develop and validate SOPs;
transferring these SOPs to CDROs
• Assisting in vitro assay development when these assays involve protein reagents / protein chemistry
• Troubleshooting and creative engagement relative to the protein chemistry aspects of multiple Rejuvenate projects
• With minimal supervision, planning and executing experiments; interpreting data
• Communicating experimental results promptly with supervisors, colleagues, and project teams (both verbally and in writing).
• Mentoring and then possibly managing a junior RA in the same line function
• Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor or manager
• B.S or M.S. in biology, biochemistry, microbiology, virology, biomedical engineering or a related field
• A minimum of 1 year of experience performing protein purification and characterization; preferably in industry
• Experience in the purification, stabilization, and characterization of multiple types of proteins (eukaryotic proteins expressed in eukaryotes are preferred)
• Extensive experience with and knowledge of protein chromatography, including its underlying principles. This includes various types of affinity, ion exchange, and size exclusion chromatographies
• Demonstrable track record of learning new science and methods quickly
• Experience in various analytical techniques relevant to protein chemistry, for
• example SDS-PAGE, spectrophotometry, LC-MS of proteins (or interpretation of LC MS data collected by outsourcing), light-scattering, etc.
• Experience using AKTA FPLC systems
• Experience in purifying viral capsids (AAV or similar) is a plus, but is not required
• Eukaryotic cell culture is a plus, as is experience in basic molecular biology techniques
(cloning, DNA purification).
• Willingness to work outside of their discipline to accomplish project goals.
• Proven ability to draft and implement lab protocols.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment.
• Strong work ethic, communication skills, and a goal-oriented personality.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Position is primarily sedentary, and employee may be required to sit for extended periods of time.
• Standing, walking and meeting activities are required frequently throughout the workday.
• Must be able to process paperwork and utilize office equipment (including personal
computer, phone, copiers, etc.).
• Normal sight or corrected vision is required to read documents and use standard computer terminals. Some light lifting may be occasionally required.
• Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
• Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs
• Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone
If interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and cover letter. We are located in San Diego California.
Rejuvenate Bio is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Rejuvenate Bio is an E-Verify Employer in the United States.