Celevity is a seed stage company developing drugs to help dogs live longer, healthier lives. We see aging as a disease that is able to be slowed and improved with medicines. Celevity was spun out of Laura Deming’s The Longevity Fund and is well funded by top venture capitalists and angels.
Celevity is hiring an Associate Research Scientist. You’ll join our aging biology team to execute both in vivo and in vitro pipeline projects. You’ll work across multimodal biology projects to ensure our preclinical drug development pipeline is executed efficiently, rapidly, and to the highest quality.
Celevity is an early stage company, which means there are no stringent hierarchies, silos or bureaucracy. While you will be ultimately responsible for leading the consumer side, you will have ample opportunity to work with, learn from, and influence other sides of the company.
Celevity is founded and led by a first-gen, female CEO – we encourage and look forward to diverse applicants.
Your daily work may include:
· Blood and tissue sample collection from rodent models
· Develop analytical assays to measure changes in relevant aging-related biomarkers (i.e. ELISA, qPCR)
· Conduct cell culture assays to screen candidate compounds or answer mechanism-of-action questions
· Spearhead multiple projects with diverse biology and endpoints
· Execute in vivo behavioral, molecular and histological experiments to assess effects of our lead candidate pipeline drugs on aging trajectory
· Dose rodents with our lead candidate drugs (s.c., i.p., oral gavage, minipump, etc.)
· Reading papers to synthesize the best methods for specific outcomes
· Management and tracking of the rodent colony and detailed data recording
· Support preparation of preclinical study reports and regulatory documents
You’ll be directly responsible for executing key portfolio experimental milestones supporting the Celevity mission and push forward the biology from in vitro to in Fido.
Education & Work Experience:
· M.Sc. or equivalent experience in a STEM field; preference for previous wet-lab (molecular biology, biochemistry, neuroscience or similar) research experience
· At least 4 years of experience in conducting hands-on bench research and in vivo experiments using rodents. If you are coming straight out of an academic laboratory (MSc., Ph.D. or post-doc), you should have demonstrable experience in working independently requiring minimal supervision, timeline management, and organizational excellence.
How You Work & Think
· You are independent, need minimal supervision and are able to adapt quickly to change.
· Detail oriented, disciplined, naturally seek ownership and responsibility, and happy working on a mix of the fascinating and the mundane.
· Highest standards for scientific quality and rigor.
· Clear communicator of scientific topics and challenges.
· Loves to learn and excited to self-teach random topics as relevant to the company and projects.
· Ability to meet or beat rapid deadlines and work well under pressure.
· Concise, logical thinker who can communicate complicate topics with ease.
· Growth mindset, value transparency, seek out feedback and iteration cycles.
While not necessary, we’d be especially excited if you have:
· Demonstrable previous interest or work in aging, longevity, age-related diseases.
· Previous experience working in a small biotechnology company.
· Dog person
· Based full time in San Francisco. Our offices are on Market Street near Noe Valley. We have laboratory space in the Dogpatch neighborhood and South San Francisco.
· $60,000 - $90,000 per year depending on your background & preferred ratio of salary to shares
· Full coverage health/dental/vision
· Monthly learning budget for books and self-improvement
· Start ASAP
Health | Good health is critical to every other human (and animal!) experience. We believe health is a fundamental right and are dedicating our lives to maximizing health and developing better medicines for the worst diseases.
Truth Seeking & Feedback Loops | Uniquely in biology, there is a predetermined truth of whether a specific drug will work or not — we just have to catch up with biology! We seek out this truth and do not shy away from inconvenient truths. This holds for personal development too: we are always searching for feedback loops and embody a perpetual growth mindset.
Transparency | We believe full transparency in thoughts, opinions, intentions, and actions (both good ones and mistakes) is a better way to build a business and work together.
Morality & Empathy | We are developing medicines that may one day be given to a living animal, medicines that if designed badly could hurt that animal instead of help. This is a huge responsibility and should be respected as such. Our work needs to adhere to the strictest moral code and always integrate empathy for the patient.
Kindness | Great business(wo)men do not need to be ruthless — you can execute excellently with kindness.
Dog gifs | We love them.
Send your resume and a short introduction to: firstname.lastname@example.org