Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies to increase our understanding of the biology that controls lifespan. We will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Executing on this mission will require an unprecedented level of interdisciplinary effort and a long-term focus for which funding is already in place.
Calico is looking to hire a Head of Oncology Research to lead a world-class team of Oncology researchers. The individual in this role will serve as the leader of Calico’s cancer therapeutics programs as well as lead a lab. The scope of the role is substantially augmented through a unique collaborative research agreement between Calico and AbbVie Pharmaceuticals, as well as through important research collaborations between Calico and leading academic research organizations such as the Broad Institute.
- Lead, manage, and develop a team of Oncology researchers (including group leaders and individual contributors) performing innovative preclinical research focused on the discovery and development of novel therapeutic candidates
- Lead lab as Principal Investigator conducting high impact research in cancer biology or therapeutics discovery
- Collaborate effectively with multiple cross-functional partners within and outside of Calico
- Engage in scientific assessment of external oncology-focused opportunities and new technologies that would augment Calico’s drug discovery and development capabilities
- Leverage Calico’s advanced computational biology capabilities to uncover new therapeutic opportunities
- Contribute to Calico’s Development Review Committee, Scientific Review Committee, and to the Drug Development Leadership Team
- Ph.D. and/or M.D. in cancer biology or relevant biological science
- Broad oncology expertise, with a strong understanding of fundamental cancer biology and current and emerging approaches to discover and develop cancer therapeutics
- 15+ years of experience, with at least 10 years in oncology drug discovery and development in either industry or academia
- A strong record of achievement, including leading cancer drug programs and publications in high-impact journals
- Demonstrated expertise in leading an Oncology team of Principal Investigators and Scientists with a passion for mentorship
- Outstanding decision making, organizational, and analytical skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills