Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to understand the biology of aging, and to help people to lead longer and healthier lives. We aim to combine the best biomedical science with cutting edge technology and computing.
Aging and diseases thereof involve multifaceted changes in cell physiology. Calico is seeking a scientist to build and lead a collaborative technology group to understand and correct these cell states. This team will combine genetic and chemical perturbations at scale with high-content phenotyping and state-of-the-art machine learning to facilitate biological discovery and drug development.
In this role, you will work closely with biologists, data scientists, machine learning engineers and automation engineers. Your primary responsibility will be to oversee the development and deployment of high content phenotyping and perturbation methods in mammalian cell culture models at scale. This role will require integration of rapidly evolving functional genomics tools with robotics, microscopy, and high-throughput sequencing.
The ideal candidate enjoys building scalable and robust processes to realize the potential of promising new scientific methods. Excellent communication skills and an innovative mindset are a must.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead a team of 3-4 individuals, including day-to-day supervision of technical work, medium-term planning and goal-setting, and longer-term career/technical development
- 2-4 years of experience managing or directly supervising the work of others
- Track record of productive and innovative cross-functional collaborations
- Either a MS (with ten years' relevant experience) in the natural sciences/engineering; or PhD (with five years' relevant experience) in the natural sciences/engineering.
- Experience in high-content screening and/or CRISPR screening
- Ability to be flexible in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, proactive communicator
- Superior attention to detail, time management and organization skills
Additional desired experience:
- Primary cell, iPSC, organoid and co-culture systems
- Lab automation
- Quantitative live cell imaging
- Project management