Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies to increase our understanding of the biology that controls lifespan. We will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Executing on this mission will require an unprecedented level of interdisciplinary effort and a long-term focus, for which funding is already in place.
Calico is seeking an exceptional and experienced Director to join the Business Development Group. The successful candidate will actively source promising new opportunities, evaluate and negotiate agreements to support Calico’s partnerships and collaboration activities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Closely collaborating with Calico’s R&D leaders to help define areas of interest and to develop and execute partnerships for those areas
- Sourcing new opportunities that are consistent with the company’s scientific and business objectives
- Leading scientific and strategic assessments and cross-functional due diligence reviews
- Driving decision-making through the deal process, and making presentations and recommendations to senior management
- Developing and recommending proposed deal structures and financial terms, and leading negotiations of term sheets and contracts with potential partners in collaboration with Legal and Finance
- Either a Ph.D. or MD, combined with an MBA or JD or equivalent level of business education and experience
- At least 5 years of business development or licensing experience with a track record of leading and successfully completing deals; experience with preclinical and early clinical development therapeutic opportunities preferred
- Proven ability to lead teams, drive business decisions, and manage multiple projects effectively in an intense environment with a high degree of independence
- Energetic, result-driven, self-starter with a strong executive presence, collaborative mindset, and ability to think strategically and analytically
- Deep understanding of the drug discovery, development and commercialization process, and demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with R&D leadership; knowledge of age-related diseases and partnering landscape is a plus
- Good business instincts and fluency with business analytics and valuation methodologies
- Outstanding oral and written communication, interpersonal, influence and negotiation skills
- Skillful presenter of scientific and business topics to executives